November 5, 2009

Ingrid Michaelson's Magical Mystery Show


Ingrid Michaelson, originally uploaded by ajcarpinelli.
The whole story with this photo is pretty interesting, in my eyes at least. Here is how it went down:

I was fortunate enough (thanks to Carol of “Really Papi, Really") to hear the Ingrid Michaelson was playing a "secret" show near me in the day before her real show in town that night. All the details were on twitter, and only twitter as far as I know. Micahelson posted the two tweets below leading up to the night before. As soon as I heard, I planned it out with Carol. We’d leave at 9 a.m. and get into town just as Michaelson gave details.

“Heads up Pittsburgh! Coming in for an acoustic performance for Star 100.7 at a secret location @ 12pm on Thurs. Stay tuned for more info.”

“All will be revealed for my secret performance tomorrow in Pittsburgh! Posting location by 10am ET”


We had no idea where it would be, except in the city somewhere. Carol thought, and I agreed, it would likely be at a radio station that was sponsoring the show. We left at 9 a.m. and made it to the radio station exactly as she tweeted:

“Secret show @ 12PM ET. Location - Panera Bread Restaurant: North Fayette and The Point, Next to Walmart, Robinson Township, PA, 15071”

I knew where it was. We got there at 10:15, a.m. Naturally, the first arrivals. We got breakfast, and stalked the place out, waiting. While we were waiting, Ingrid tweeted:

“i'm gonna eat some BREAD.”

The crowd was pretty small, I think very few people actually knew about it unless they happened to be there.

She played three songs (Be OK, The Way I Am, and Maybe). I shot some stills and video of the show. After that she signed autographs and posed for photos with people. I asked for a portrait of her, and snapped this before getting mine with her.

I wasn’t planning on going to the actual show, because by the time I found out about it, it was already sold out. There was a brief period where one of the other people at the secret show offered me a free ticket because one of her friends couldn’t go. After having all my Ingrid Michaelson needs fulfilled by this smaller show, I just couldn’t see any way the concert could top meeting her, taking photos of and with her, and getting an autograph… except a shirt.
I shot some High Def videos of Ingrid performing "Be OK" and "Maybe." You can find them over at http://reallypapi.blogspot.com/2009/11/oh-what-day-is-today.html

Here are the videos I shot on the 5D mk ii.



No comments:

Post a Comment