April 16, 2010

Passport

     I have always answered the question "What do you do?" with "I'm a photographer, writer, and adventurer for hire." Today, that statement feels truer then ever.

     My passport arrived today, and I was struck with the oddest feeling because of it. I feel that this is one of those things that you never really know you needed or wanted, for the most part, until you have it. In my mind at least, this is an essential piece of equipment for my career. The other side of this is that, I feel in a way it is wasted money. I mean, it is going to just sit here for who knows how long, before I ever use it. In a way, there is sort of this expectation that when you buy something, there should be an immediate sense of gratification. A test run of sorts. If you get new equipment, for example, you have to play with it right away to test it out. Same with software. That reminds me, I am going to write a reviewish post here in the next weeks about my thoughts on Aperture 3.
     Back to the passport though, I am pretty conflicted. There have been several times in my life that I almost got one to go places, but in the end, I never really bothered. Well, I am applying for a job that might involve international travel if I make it to the final round of interviews, and needed to have it right now. Expediting a passport is amazing by the way. From the application day to the day I got it was 5 business days. I think it is an amazing feat. A tip for anyone who is in the same situation: The tracking on the website is not always up to date. Mine still says they are finishing it up, and will ship it out by Monday. So now, my aimless wanderings are no longer bound by geographical borders. A lot of people seem to feel that a driver's license is the ultimate sense of freedom, but in my mind a passport is a much better one. Now all I have to do, is start getting contracts for amazing globe-trotting adventures.

No comments:

Post a Comment