April 17, 2010

Pushing and Shoving


IMG_9747, originally uploaded by ajcarpinelli.

     I decided to post this last, so it would stay at the top of the pile. I think it is a great shot, and I want to use it to explain my thoughts and feelings on Roller Derby, as well as why you should go to at least one game in your life time
    I have always been a fan of Roller Derby, I don't even remember where it stemmed from. Somewhere in my childhood, a long lost memory, I assume. I didn't think anyone thought much about it now until "Whip It" was released, and then I randomly found out Pittsburgh has a league. I went to check it out last month, at the home opener, and I now find it necessary to go to every game I can. I realized that I am really not alone, as both the home games have been sold out. The announcers said tonight that is over 750 people.
     I have always loved the sport for a few reasons. Mainly, there is a great sense of humor and a true spirit of good fun that seem to go with it. The spirit shows itself in the face of most or all the players. I'm not saying they don't take it seriously, because they do. I am saying that they still have fun. You lose that in a lot of sports. Even the announcers usually have a running commentary of jokes. The sense of humor comes through in the derby names. This is unique to the sport, and for someone just getting in, following your favorite names is a great way to get in to the sport.The last reason that I have always loved this sport is that it is a very grass roots movement. Yes, the teams all have sponsors, merch booths, and everything but there is still a very down to earth feeling to it. That makes me want to support them all the more. It is easier to see what the ticket price goes to with a sport like this, as opposed to the Steelers for example.
     The rules are pretty simple compared to most sports, and it is a fairly easy sport to follow. Everything moves quickly, and the half-hour quarters fly by.
     Let me end this by saying I recommend everyone go to at least one game. The tickets are around $20, for about 3 hours worth of derby. Also, our main team, Steel Hurtin', is pretty good. All the teams always put on a good show. Here is the link to their website. You can order tickets in advance, follow them on twitter or facebook, or just find out about the team.
    I am going to go back and write captions and little things for the other photos when I get a chance, but I wanted to get this one done first.
    Lastly, consider comparing these shots to the ones I did last month. I borrowed a top of the line telephoto as well as a 5D mk. ii for the night, and I think there is considerable quality difference. The 5D has amazing low light performance. Feel free to post comments letting me know what you think...

No comments:

Post a Comment