August 21, 2010

Derby Finale


snot rocket science, originally uploaded by ajcarpinelli.
Tonight was the last home Steel City Derby Demon bout for the season. So instead of doing my usual, re-post a bunch of photos from my flickr stream, I wanted to do a more detailed post about my thoughts on the experience working for the league, what I’ve learned about photography, this particular photo, and anything else that comes to my mind. However, I feel now like shorter is better.
What I will say though is that everyone I met and talked to this season was amazing, and I am going to be really bored until next season. From a photographer and spectator point of view, it is an amazing sport that is both serious and fun at the same time. Anyone who gets the chance to go to a bout should. Again, I look forward to next season.
On to the photo. The un-edited version is farther down my flickr stream, but this seems to be the much better version. Basically, I had a 16 x 20 frame laying around that I always wanted to put up, and figured that I should pick one photo from the season and put it up. I selected this one, which happens to be from the last home game. The un-edited version has a lot of yellow, so I did the old hand-coloring technique, and colored Snot Rocket Science (still my favorite name) back in. The problem was the motion-blurred arms, and it took three of us to get that to look good. I was very grateful at the time to have such good help, and even more once I got the photo up in my office. I am quite pleased with the results, as well as all my time spent at Romp N Roll. Is it next season yet?

No comments:

Post a Comment